Scientific and Technical Committee (STC)
The Scientific and Technical Committee (STC) steers Campden BRI’s scientific and technical activities
at a strategic level. It also oversees the Member Interest Group (MIG) system, ensuring that the Member Interest Groups
meet the needs of members. Its main terms of reference are:-
- Identify the scientific and technical needs of the food and drink supply chain so that they can be documented (in the ‘needs document’)
and used to steer research
- Ensure effective use of Member funded research (MFR) – in the development and execution of the MFR programme to address industry
needs (as embodied in the ‘needs document’)
- Identify emerging issues and consider how these should be addressed by Campden BRI or one or more of its Member Interest Groups
- Determine the remit and monitor the activities of Member Interest Groups, to ensure they perform effectively
- Ensure Campden BRI interacts with other stakeholders to the benefit of its members
It is supported in this role by the Member Interest Group Activities Working Group (MAWG), which comprises the Chairs of the twelve Member Interest
Groups and senior Campden BRI staff, and which reports to STC. The terms of reference for MAWG include:-
- Ensure appropriate cross-Member Interest Group awareness of project proposals emerging from Member Interest Group discussions (March)
- Ensure that each MFR project is regularly reported to at least one MIG or WP (March)
- Review the Terms of Reference of Member Interest Groups (MIGs) and Working Parties (WPs) to ensure their relevance to industry needs (March or
November as appropriate)
- Share best practice to support the effective operation of MIGs (November)
- Allocate all new member funded projects to a steering MIG (November)
Campden BRI Scientific and Technical Committee
Chair: Dr. Simon Branch, Herbalife Europe Ltd.
Vice-chair: Ms. Lorna Schneider, Hilton Food Group
- Dr. Viktor Boer, Heineken Supply Chain B.V.
- Mrs. Jacky Bowes, William Jackson Food Group
- Mr. Mark Charlton, Allied Technical Centre
- Mr. Bob Clarke, Fenton Packaging
- Mr. Peter Dawson, Samworth Brothers Ltd.
- Dr. Lucy Foster, Defra
- Ms. Lynn Furnival, Weetabix Ltd.
- Mr. Bob Heygate, Heygates Ltd.
- Mr. Chris Holland, Holmach Ltd.
- Mr. David James, AkzoNobel Packaging Coatings
- Dr. Daniel Kerruish, Diageo
- Mr. Patrick Lesueur, Bonduelle Europe
- Ms. Ursula Lavery, Moy Park Ltd.
- Mr. Bruce Linter, PepsiCo International Ltd.
- Mr. Simon Livings, Nestlé Product Technology Centre
- Ms. Clare Menezes, McCormick
- Ms. Kathryn Miller, Innovate UK
- Mr. James Phillips, BBSRC
- Ms. Gael O'Neill, Tesco Stores Ltd.
- Mr. Brian Walsh, Kraft Heinz
- Mr. Richard Whitaker, Crown Packaging UK Plc.
- Mr. Karl Williams, Marks & Spencer Ltd.
Member interest group chairs:
- Ms. Innogen Carter-Hall, Provenance Partners Ltd. (Agri–food)
- Mr. Stephen Greatbatch, Whitworth Bros Ltd. (Cereals, milling and baking)
- Ms. Cath Greenhalgh, Warburtons Ltd. (Packaging)
- Ms. Dawn Hardy, Unbar Rothon Ltd. (Meat and poultry)
- Miss. Moira Howie, Waitrose & Partners (Nutrition and health)
- Mr. Stuart Jones, Warburtons Ltd. (Food and drink science)
- Mr. Peter Littleton, Christeyns Food Hygiene (Processing, operations and preservation)
- Ms. Ashleigh Moore, Greggs Plc. (Food service)
- Mr. Ian Rogerson, Co-Operative Retail (Fermented and alcoholic drinks)
- Mr. David Rose, Mondelez (Quality and food safety management)
- Ms. Debra Smith, Vikan Ltd. (Microbiology)
- Dr. Liz Wilks, APP (Sensory and consumer)
Scientific advisers: Dr. Gus Atri and Dr. Sterling Crew
Technical secretary: Leighton Jones, Campden BRI