About Peter Burgess
Peter has over twenty years experience in consumer and sensory sciences and is a Certified Member of the Market Research
Society (Dip MRS), member of the Association for Qualitative Research, IFT/IFST joint member and a Registered Sensory Scientist. Since graduating
from Leeds University with a BA (Hons) Degree in Economics, Peter’s career has included research and business development posts within the retail,
food and financial sectors.
Peter joined Campden BRI in 2003 and was appointed Head of Department for Consumer and Sensory Sciences in 2005 where he is
responsible for the delivery of both contract consumer and sensory testing and ongoing research for industry and public sector clients.
Throughout his career, Peter has developed broad knowledge and experience of the technical and business development needs of
the food industry spanning new product development, retailing and quality assurance, as well as investigating consumer attitudes on broader food
issues in the changing marketplace.
Peter has extensive knowledge of mainstream consumer research and sensory testing methods and was a standing lecturer on the
University of Nottingham's PG certificate in Sensory Science.
Examples of relevant presentations, posters and publications:
- IFT 19 (2019). Seminar Presentation. Integrating the packaging and product experience – a road map to consumer satisfaction.
- IFT 19 (2019). Chair of session. Enhancing consumer acceptability of novel ingredients.
- Campden Day. (2019). Briefing update. Innovation and the adventurous consumer.
- Cereals & Grains Conference (2018). Seminar Presentation. A consumer based approach to set, confirm or extend the shelf life of baked goods.
- National Food Centre Iksan South Korea (2018). Lectures. Consumer engagement in NPD.
- University of Cambridge (2017). Open Innovation Forum Meeting. Presentation: Sensing brands.
- National Food Centre Iksan South Korea (2017). Seminar Presentation. UK consumer attitudes to functional foods.
- Burgess P (2016). Ed. Integrating the Packaging and Product Experience in Food and Beverages. A Road-Map to Consumer Satisfaction. Woodhead.
- SenseAsia (2016). Chair of Session: The impact of oral processing on food perception and preference.
- Food Matters Live (2015): Seminar Presentation How do on-pack logos influence consumers’ sustainability choices?
- Pangborn 2015: Consumer Engagement - Integrating packaging with the product experience. Oral poster presentation.
- Burgess P (2014). Modification of a traditional Korean food product (Gochujang) to enhance its consumer acceptability as an ethnic food. Journal
of Ethnic Foods.
- Food Matters Live (2014): Chair of session: Marketing healthier options - the business and health benefits.
- IFST Sensory Science Group Conference (2014): An ‘evoked context’ approach to product assessment. Oral poster presentation.
- SenseAsia (2014): Chair of Session: Sensory Science and Health.
- Packaging Innovations Seminar (2014): ‘Eyes on the prize.. tracking the way to product success’. Oral presentation.
- IFST Professional Food Sensory Group Conference 2012. Chair of workshop: Getting closer to the real world of the consumers: how new technologies
and developments can help.
- Burgess P, Gilbert C and Thomas S (2012). The effects of environment and emotional factors on perception and liking of products: evoked
environment. R&D Report No 327.
- Co authored report (2012). Reducing supply chain and consumer potato waste. WRAP published report. RBC820-004.
- 9th Pangborn Sensory Science Symposium (2011). Chair of workshop: Improving the bottom line in business with sensory.
- Co authored report (2011). Reducing household bakery waste. WRAP published report. RBC820-003.
- Rogers S.M. and Burgess P.J. (2010) Feeding the Forces: A food quality assurance system for the Armed Services. Poster at European Conference on
Sensory and Consumer Research, VitoriaGasteiz, 5-8 September 2010.
- Burgess P (2010) Consumers’ Perception of Active and Intelligent Packaging. Presentation at the Innovation and Technology Workshop on Packaging.
Brno, 4 March 2010.
- Burgess P and Chen XM (2009) Consumers’ Perception of Active and Intelligent Packaging. Presentation at the Active and Intelligent Packaging
Conference. Campden BRI, 1-2 April 2009.
- Burgess, P.J., Lim, S.I. and Yi, S.H. (2008) Gochujang: a multi-method approach in the development of a fusion food. Presentation at the Third
European Conference on Sensory and Consumer Research - A Sense of Innovation. Hamburg, 7-10 September 2008, Oral 5.
- Burgess P (2009) The relative importance of environmental concerns and ethical practices when consumers make food and drink purchasing decisions.
Presentation at the Sensory and Consumer Panel meeting, 29 January 2009.
- Gilbert C and Burgess P (2009) Consumer and Sensory Sciences at Campden BRI. Promotional poster presented at the European Sensory Network
"Skills Seminar", Vienna, Austria, 15-17 April 2009.
- George, R. M., Burgess ,P.J., Thorn, R.D. (2010) Reducing food waste through the chill chain. WRAP published report RSC007-003.
- Burgess P, Patterson N and Phelps T (2008) The relative importance of environmental and ethical practices when consumers make food and drink
purchasing decisions. Members R&D Report No. 272.
Connect with Peter on LinkedIn