New product development
|11-12 November 2020|
Members £899 + VAT
Non–members £1160 + VAT
Watch a tutor talk about the course
Benefits of attending
The product development process is time consuming and costly and many new products fail either to make it onto the market or only last for a few weeks. This workshop aims to provide product developers with the tools they need to innovate new ideas, screen product concepts and manage the development process thereby improving the likelihood of success. With an introduction to the product development process from concept ideas through to scale up and shelf life trials, it is suitable for those relatively new to a product development role or in another technical or marketing role requiring an understanding of the development process for a new food or drink product.
Typical attendees include product developers, food scientists and technologists, development chefs, brand managers and directors of small or start up companies. The course is relevant to all formulated food and drink products.
Training Course content
This course will cover the development process from idea generation to formulation to consumer research and scale up issues. This course offers the opportunity for delegates to work in groups to generate their own product ideas as well as get hands on experience of developing, and costing a product as well as calculating the nutritional composition and potential nutritional claims.
Key topics include the importance of new products to a company, idea generation, sensory science for new product development, feasibility, shelf life issues, consumer research and scale up.
• To provide a comprehensive introduction to the development of new food and drink products
• To give an opportunity to put into practice knowledge gained during the course in the hands on development of a new product.
• To share examples and experiences of developing new food and drink products and to encourage debate and learning through delegate participation.
At the end of the course delegates will be able to:-
• Understand the different stages in the development of a new product and use of staged or gated approach.
• Appreciate the importance of new product development to a company
• Be able to organise or contribute to an idea generation session
• Know the benefit of using consumer research and sensory testing and where these can most effectively be used in the development process
• Be aware of the food legislation relating to product composition and nutrition and health claims for new products.
• Be able to list factors which limit shelf life and suggest formulation, processing or packaging approaches that could extend it.
• Understand the issues involved in scaling up from kitchen to pilot plant and on to full production.
• Apply the theory and technical skills learnt on the course in their own development role.
Sarah Chapman – Event Director
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at email@example.com