Helping food and drink businesses succeed through science, technology and information services
With over 2,500 member companies in 80 countries, we work closely with industry to ensure the industrial relevance of everything we do.This includes a wide range of analysis and testing services and operational support underpinned by a vigorous programme of research and innovationand promoted through extensive knowledge management activities. Many of our activities are independentlyaccredited and can be tailored to specific needs.
- Manufacturing technologies - food processing (heating, chilling,freezing), aseptic technology, microwave heating, malting andbrewing, milling, baking and extrusion, process control andinstrumentation, and packaging technology
- Safety assurance - including hygiene and sanitation, microbiologyand preservation, processing technologies, analysis and testing(microbiological, chemical), and quality and safety managementsystems
- Product development, product quality, consumer studies, marketinsights, brand expectations, sensory science, authenticity testing,shelf-life evaluation, labelling and legislation
- Agri-food production, ingredients and raw material technologies
- Training courses and events delivered by world-class experts
- Leading industry guidance on best practice and legislation
- 3,000 sq m of laboratories for microbiology, hygiene, chemistry,biochemistry, molecular biology, brewing and cereal science,sensory and consumer studies, and packaging technology
- 3,500 sq m of food process hall and pilot plant facilities includingmalting and brewing, retorting, chilling, milling, baking, hygiene andpackaging
- 800 sq m of dedicated training and conference facilities
- Dedicated consumer test centre in the UK and a subsidiary in Budapest, Hungary, providing consultancy and support to eastern Europe
See some of our facilities/equipment in operation on our video pages.
Much of our work is on a strictly confidential basis for individual companies - but you can read some examples where clients have given permission to talk about their work in our client case studies.
Industrial relevance is maintained via frequent meetings with our 12 member interest groups.
IS09001/UKAS/ORETO - We have achieved 9001 certification for all UK activities. Many of the technical services are UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) 17025 accredited.
More about our sites here