Practical microbiology – foundation
Benefits of attending
Typical attendees include: microbiology technicians new to working in a microbiology environment; technicians who are returning to laboratory work after a period of absence and looking for a refresher on the latest best practice in microbiological testing; and delegates requiring background information behind the procedures.
This course is not suitable for delegates who do not work in a microbiology laboratory.
This course begins with the basics of food microbiology and a refresher on the range of micro organisms before going on to carry out a substantial amount of practical work in our fully-equipped training laboratories, where delegates will acquire the skill and knowledge required to perform microbiological analysis from practical exercises undertaken within Campden BRI's highly skilled staff
A series of lectures, coupled with extensive course notes covering all aspects of food microbiology, will underpin the theory behind the practical sessions, and provide essential information for future reference.
Training Course content
– sample preparation and analysis
– identification of microorganisms
– enumeration of microorganisms
• Microorganisms - types, diversity and key factors for their control
• Isolation and enumeration of microorganisms from food
• Inhibition and destruction of microorganisms
• Food poisoning
• Food spoilage
• Media preparation and tour of central preparation unit.
• Equipment in the laboratory - maintenance and correct use
• To refresh knowledge of microorganisms and their impact on food safety
• To provide 'hands-on' experience in a wide range of the most up to date microbiological procedures essential to the assurance of food safety
• To focus on appropriate testing techniques to deliver reliable results
At the end of this course delegates will be able to:
• Demonstrate Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) to achieve the most accurate results
• Apply the most up to date techniques in microbiological testing
• Choose the most appropriate testing procedures to avoid contamination of results (eg:false positives)
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at email@example.com