Practical microbiology - foundation
|1-3 October 2019|
Members £1395 + VAT
Non–members £1815 + VAT
Benefits of attending
Typical attendees include: microbiology technicians new to working in a microbiology environment; technicians who are returning to laboratory work after a period of absence and looking for a refresher on the latest best practice in microbiological testing; and delegates requiring background information behind the procedures.
This course is not suitable for delegates who do not work in a microbiology laboratory.
This course begins with the basics of food microbiology and a refresher on the range of micro organisms before going on to carry out a substantial amount of practical work in our fully-equipped training laboratories, where delegates will acquire the skill and knowledge required to perform microbiological analysis from practical exercises undertaken within Campden BRI's highly skilled staff
A series of lectures, coupled with extensive course notes covering all aspects of food microbiology, will underpin the theory behind the practical sessions, and provide essential information for future reference.
– sample preparation and analysis
– identification of microorganisms
– enumeration of microorganisms
• Microorganisms - types, diversity and key factors for their control
• Isolation and enumeration of microorganisms from food
• Inhibition and destruction of microorganisms
• Food poisoning
• Food spoilage
• Media preparation and tour of central preparation unit.
• Equipment in the laboratory - maintenance and correct use
• To refresh knowledge of microorganisms and their impact on food safety
• To provide 'hands-on' experience in a wide range of the most up to date microbiological procedures essential to the assurance of food safety
• To focus on appropriate testing techniques to deliver reliable results
At the end of this course delegates will be able to:
• Demonstrate Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) to achieve the most accurate results
• Apply the most up to date techniques in microbiological testing
• Choose the most appropriate testing procedures to avoid contamination of results (eg:false positives)
Fiona Cawkell – Event Director
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at firstname.lastname@example.org