An introduction to food law
|1-2 April 2020|
|3-4 November 2020|
Members £899 + VAT
Non–members £1160 + VAT
Benefits of attending
All aspects of the food industry, from production and processing to packaging, are governed by an extensive system of laws, regulations, codes of practice and guidance. The course provides a valuable introduction to UK and harmonised EU law and other relevant information controlling food and drink manufacture. It is designed for those new to the food industry or those wanting a broad overview of the practicalities of food legislation, and is particularly appropriate for food quality assurance and product development personnel to ensure that they have a solid grounding in the most relevant legislation.
This course does not cover food labelling, Campden BRI's Food and Drink Labelling course provides in-depth training on labelling.
Training Course content
General Food Law
• The origin, purpose and nature of UK and EU food law
• General food safety requirements; offences, due diligence, traceability and product recall
• Consumer protection obligations, including product safety and liability
• Trademarks, patents and intellectual property
• Chemical food safety; additives, processing aids
• Contaminants and residues
• Food contact materials
• Food hygiene controls
Standards for Particular Products
• Compositional standards
• Fortification - addition of vitamins and minerals and other substances to food
• Food supplements
• Food for specific groups
• Organic, novel and GM foods
Weights and Measures
• Quality control, the ‘average system’ and quantity marking
• Business Responsibilities and Procedure
• Withdrawal and recall
• Enforcement and prosecutions
At the end of the course delegates will:
• Be aware how legislation is developed, applied and enforced
• Gain an understanding of the practical implications of food law for their business
• Be able to access current legislative information
Delegate Feedback (November 2019)
- The tutors were excellent – able to communicate essential elements in a short period.
- All the tutors were very well prepared and eager to answer all questions. I appreciated a lot, the use of examples to make it more understandable.
- I now have a better idea where to look for info when reviewing raw material specifications.
Ellie Rathkey – Event Director
This course can be customised and is available in house
- Food law notes: Complete on–line reference guide to UK and EU food law, codes of practice and guidance
- Food law alert: Prompt, succinct news of developments in UK/EU food law. Available to subscribers fortnightly.
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at firstname.lastname@example.org