What is a continuous flow thermal process and how can we validate it?
For continuous thermal processes such as HTST (High Temperature Short Time) or UHT (Ultra High Temperature), the product
is constantly flowing through equipment such as heat exchangers and holding tubes before being filled into its final packaging. The method for
validating the thermal process should therefore be approached in a completely different way in comparison to traditional in-pack processes.
Campden BRI can offer many services relating to continuous flow processing:
- Calculations to verify worst-case residence time through the holding tube, accounting for flow regime and holding tube geometry
- Interpretation of residence time and temperature records to determine a worse case F0 value or pasteurisation value
- Cook value calculations to ensure maximum quality is retained. Particularly useful for milk and milk-based products
- Creation of a process matrix or calculator for you to use, showing how changing temperature and flow settings will affect the achieved F0,
pasteurisation or cook value
- Verification of flow diversion device usage
- Validation against specific legal requirements, for example against the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance in the USA or the wider FDA or USDA legal
If you, or your suppliers, are using continuous flow thermal processing technologies and support is required please do
get in touch. You won’t find equivalent services in this area anywhere else.
The Campden BRI group companies listed below are both accredited in accordance with the recognised International Standard
ISO17025:2017 by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS). The accreditation demonstrates technical competence for a defined scope of methods,
specific to each site, as detailed in the schedules of accreditation bearing the testing laboratory number.
The schedules may be revised from time to time and reissued by UKAS. The most recent issue of the schedules
are available from the UKAS website www.ukas.com
Campden BRI (Chipping Campden) Limited is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 1079
Campden BRI (Nutfield) is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 1207