Pesticide taint testing
Pesticides have the potential to adversely affect the sensory quality of treated produce through taint. Although the likelihood of new pesticides causing taint is small, the consequences of any taint issues could be:
- damaged consumer confidence in fresh or processed commodities
- tarnished product or retailer brand images
- adverse effect on pesticide manufacturer’s reputation and sales
Pesticide taint testing is part of a preventative regime when registering a new crop protection product.
We have over 50 years’ experience of taint testing. All our taint testing activities are ORETO certified (Official Recognition of Efficiency Testing Facilities or Organisations in the United Kingdom). We can provide a comprehensive pesticide taint testing service, including:
- Advice on taint testing legal requirements
- Production of crop samples - field trials to produce crop samples. This avoids the risk of samples coming into contact with potential sources of taint during transit.
- Processing of the samples using pilot plant facilities for a range of commercial preservation techniques
- Detailed sensory taint test assessment - undertaken by a trained panel of assessors
If a taint problem does arise unexpectedly we can help you find out where the underlying problem might be.