The world of sensory branding
A brand is a promise to consumers. This creates expectations. For the best brands, these expectations are supported and re-enforced by the total sensory experience in the product, packaging, and communications at all points in the customer journey.
The 'Sensing brands' approach
The senses are a powerful doorway to the emotions, which is where most decisions and commitments are made, often at a non-conscious level. Sensing brands helps you to understand and enhance these sensoryemotional connections for significantly improved brand performance.
Many organisations will have their various brands well defined in terms of their visual identities, however there is an opportunity to:
- Fully understand the emotional expectation generated by the brand promise
- Gain insight into how well this is aligned with the customer experience
- Extend the brand definition into additional sensory expressions (e.g. sound, smell and touch) for enhanced emotional engagement
- Validate these new sensory expressions to ensure that they deliver the desired brand promise
- Capture all the sensory brand expressions in a Brand In a Box™, to inspire research and development and brand marketing teams as they innovate and implement these sensory signatures in all that you make, say and do
Our Sensing brands framework has been specifically designed to help brands create a distinctive and motivating 'brand sensory signature'.
Creating a sensory signature
Sensory brands is based on four key stages that can be undertaken as discrete steps or as a complete package.
1. Completion of a brand sensory audit
2. Creating the desired sensory brand signature
3. Evaluating the effectiveness of the sensory signature through:
- A-Sense: evaluation of brand communications in terms of creating consumers’ expectations aligned to the sensory brand signature and product experience
- Pac-Sense: an evaluation of the packaging in terms of creating consumers’ expectations aligned to the sensory brand signature and product experience
- Pro-Sense: an evaluation of the product in terms of alignment to the sensory brand signature and consumer acceptability
- S-Sense: an assessment of consumers’ satisfaction of the holistic product and packaging experience in relation to the sensory brand signature
4. Assessing the value of the sensory brand signature
We have worked with a number of companies to help them harness consumer engagement with their brand through the senses. If you want to learn how it could work for you please get in touch for an exploratory chat.