Use time-based sensory mapping with consumers to ensure you have a successful product that you know
your consumers will love.
We are increasingly using time-based sensory mapping to obtain detailed sensory feedback on what consumers perceive
during food and drink consumption. For example,
- Does your competitor’s product have a more desirable initial ‘bite’? Or upfront burst of flavour?
- Is the texture positively received throughout the entire eating experience?
- Is there an aftertaste that consumers do not like?
We use ‘TCATA’ to characterise your product by time-based sensory mapping with consumers. It stands for ‘Temporal Check-All-That-Apply’.
‘Temporal’ is the key, as this method looks at the timing of in-mouth consumer perceptions during the eating experience, when the different sensations are delivered by the product, and how the consumer experience changes throughout the eating journey.
Insights from time-based sensory mapping through TCATA can be instrumental in projects such as:
- New product development, renovation and innovation (e.g. how the new product delivers the different in-mouth sensory characteristics)
- Product optimisation and validation (e.g. to improve or check how the different in-mouth sensations are being delivered)
- Matching flavour or texture profiles / product matching (where taking ‘temporality’ into account is essential)
- Shelf-life testing (e.g. to check whether an ‘aged’ product features similar temporal sensory characteristics than a fresh product)
- Product reformulation (e.g. salt or sugar reduction, MSG removal – where practitioners need to check the impact it has on flavour/texture/aftertaste delivery)
Rapid attribute profiling, UKAS accredited triangle testing and more.
Product assessment, evaluation and performance.
Customised research designs to understand consumers' in-depth.
Individual or team sessions, scheduled or tailored.
Increasingly using time-based sensory mapping to obtain detailed sensory feedback.
State–of–the–art facilities for consumer and sensory testing.
Creating a distinctive and motivating sensory signature.
Working with clients from across the food and beverage supply chain.
A selection of our consumer and sensory Research and Development reports.
The Campden BRI group companies listed below are both accredited in accordance with the recognised International Standard
ISO17025:2017 by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS). The accreditation demonstrates technical competence for a defined scope of methods,
specific to each site, as detailed in the schedules of accreditation bearing the testing laboratory number.
The schedules may be revised from time to time and reissued by UKAS. The most recent issue of the schedules
are available from the UKAS website www.ukas.com
Campden BRI (Chipping Campden) Limited is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 1079
Campden BRI (Nutfield) is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 1207