Bread softness club
Campden BRI is inviting companies to join research to develop better ways to create and maintain bread softness - by understanding and controlling the factors that influence bread texture.
The bread softness project will be of interest to bread manufacturers, suppliers of bakery ingredients, and manufacturers, distributors and retailers of sandwiches and bread products.
The project will explore:
- effects of ingredient, recipe and process variations on initial bread softness
- effects of storage conditions on softness including ambient, chilling and freezing/thawing
- relationship between crumb and crust texture
- effects of bread bubble structure, anisotropy and distribution within slices and within loaves
- interaction with other product components such as sandwich fillings, packaging and moisture barriers
The pre-competitive research will be steered by the club of participating companies. Each member will be able to exploit the findings for their own commercial benefit.
The project will start in January 2018.