BRC Global Standard for Food Safety Issue 8
The BRC Global Standard for Food Safety has been updated with the release of Issue 8 in August 2018. The first audits against this issue will be conducted from 1 February 2019.
Overview of main changes?
Guide to the key changes to the standard
Video: Richard Leathers discusses Issue 8 changes
Slide presentation: Issue 8 – what can we expect?
What are the main changes?
- New sections – production risk zones and traded goods
- Food safety and quality culture – compulsory requirement
- Separate clauses for supplier approval and monitoring – clause 184.108.40.206 for supplier approval and clause 220.127.116.11 for ongoing supplier monitoring
- Food defence needs to be risk assessed, defined, documented, controlled, monitored and reviewed – clauses 4.2.1, 4.2.2, and 4.2.3
- Risk based programmes for environmental monitoring – clause 4.11.8
- The need to validate cooking instructions and shelf-life
- Training on labelling procedures
- Cyber security related to documents, records and equipment settings
- Understanding the significance of laboratory results
- Traceability procedures
- Defining root cause analysis