Practical microbiology – intermediate
2023 dates will be available in the Autumn
Benefits of attending
This course is for Senior Microbiologists and Senior laboratory technical staff who already have a basic training in microbiology and who need to further their knowledge in specific areas of food microbiology or who are perhaps involved in laboratory management. This course is not suitable for delegates with no laboratory experience.
Delegates on the course will gain in-depth knowledge of food microbiology and also the factory environment, with an emphasis on understanding pathogenic testing methodology. Lectures give up-to-date information on both established and emerging food pathogens, as well as a variety of spoilage microorganisms. Practical demonstrations will show delegates relevant methods for detection and enumeration of microorganisms. Delegates will also receive information on the related areas of legislation, standards and specifications and the importance of a robust sampling plan.
Training Course content
• Emerging and other pathogens including: Bacillus cereus, Staphylococcus aureus,Clostridium perfringens, E coli, VTEC/STEC including E coli O157,
• Spoilage organisms including Yeasts and moulds, Pseudomonas.
• Legislation, standards and specifications
• Sampling plans for microbiologists
• Laboratory accreditation and management
• Hygiene and environmental sampling in the factory
• To refresh delegates on the latest information on established and emerging pathogens
• To review and apply the latest testing methods, including rapid methods (kits)
• To avoid the pitfalls of “false positives” by choosing correct and up to date testing procedures for food contamination
• To understand the importance of correct sampling programmes to detect factory “black spots”
• To refresh knowledge of accreditations
• To clarify how to comply with British Standard Procedures
At the end of this course delegates will be able to:
• Apply the most up date testing technique appropriate to individual micro organisms
• Know when, where and how to sample to have greater confidence in results
• Incorporate this learning into internal training of other laboratory staff
• Know how to achieve and maintain external accreditation
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at email@example.com