Sugar reduction in foods
This course can be run as a tailored option for those who have a number of staff who would benefit from the training or if you would like to register your own interest to attend this course on the next available date please complete the enquiry form
Benefits of attending
This course provides an overview of the issues and approaches to reducing sugar foods. It is suitable for those working in a product development role looking to reduce or replace sugar in their products particularly if they are new to sugar reduction. It will provide an insight into which approaches may be most appropriate for which food types. It is relevant to all formulated food products. Typical attendees include product developers, food scientists and technologists, development chefs and brand managers.
Training Course content
This course will cover the background to sugar reduction including reasons for the need to reduce sugar, government targets and the role that sugar plays in products. Approaches to reduce sugar in food via the incorporation of alternative ingredients will be covered. One session will cover relevant legislation including information on health and nutrition claims.
There will be an opportunity to sample reduced sugar products and sessions looking in detail at reducing sugar in baked goods. Short sessions will also discuss sugar reduction in beverages and sweet sauces/condiments & preserves. A sensory session will explore ways of assessing the sensory properties of reduced sugar products
Key topics include – why reduce sugar, alternative ingredients (high potency sweeteners & polyols), regulatory issues, sugar reduction in different applications such as bakery products, beverages and sweet sauces/condiments & preserves.
• To explain the functions of sugar in different food applications
• To provide an introduction to the development of food products with reduced sugar.
• To explore different options for sugar reduction and considerations when using them
• To give an opportunity to sample some products with reduced sugar
• To share examples and experiences of developing reduced sugar food products and to encourage debate through delegate participation.
At the end of the course delegates will be able to:-
• Understand the function of sugar in different foods and the issues with removing this ingredient.
• Be aware of the considerations (technical & regulatory) when using sugar replacers such as high potency sweeteners and polyols.
• Have an awareness of methods of sensory assessment for products with reduced/removed sugar.
• Apply the theory and technical skills learnt on the course in their own development role.
This course can be customised and is available in house
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at email@example.com