Understanding microbiology for non microbiologists
Benefits of attending
This course is designed to give those who have had no formal microbiological training the confidence to make good, informed decisions about food safety and to help delegates to understand the importance of microbiological safety and stability in food manufacture, distribution and sale. Typical attendees could be Managers in Hygiene or Quality Departments, Buyers or those working in NPD.
Breaking through some of the microbiology terminology and jargon, you will be shown how to perform risk assessment, how to carry out microbiological investigations and how to decide on appropriate actions based on microbiological results. You will also be provided with a “taste” of microbiological problem-solving, through an in depth Case Study
Training Course content
• Microorganisms - types and diversity and nutritional requirements for growth
• Case study exercise: diagnosis of food microbiological problems
• Hygiene and environmental sampling in the factory
• Food poisoning
• Food spoilage
• Growth, inhibition and destruction of microorganisms and toxins
• Factors affecting growth and survival of microorganisms
• To provide a broad introduction to the importance of microbiological issues for maintaining food safety and quality
• To provide a simple guide on how to identify potential risks and avoid them in future
• To demonstrate ways in which some microbiological problems can be solved
• To inform on how to decide on specification limits
At the end of the course delegates will be able to:
• Understand the terminology and “jargon” to enable informed discussion of microbiological issues
• Identify the role of microbiology in setting product specifications
• Locate potential factory blackspots where microbiological problems can occur
• Decide the correct hygiene measures and cleaning regimes to eradicate problems
Delegate feedback (2019 & 2020)
- Very good tutors! Thought they brought the perfect amount of humour to a very important subject which made it a joy to learn.
- The tutors were clearly subject matter experts and had a very natural ability to deliver insights.
- Successful - indepth, good knowledge and answered questions well.
This course can be customised and is available in house
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at firstname.lastname@example.org