Safe production of heat preserved foods – the essentials (including principles of canning)
Benefits of attending
Campden BRI’s long-time running and prestigious course (originally Principles of canning) is a 4 day course aimed to provide a basic understand of how to safely produce heat preserved foods, with emphasis on both cans and other package formats. Technical knowledge is facilitated through group work discussions, practical hands on exercises and group case studies. The program progresses logically through the steps and stages of thermal food preservation and production processes and provides an overview of the important factors needed to be considered at each stage of the process. The course concludes with an exam to demonstrate competency and awareness of the topics covered.
Who should attend?
This is a technical course designed to provide practical knowledge for those new or returning to the Heat Preserved Foods sector. It is best suited for those in occupying the following roles:
Food Product and Process Technologists
Technical Managers and Assistants
QA Supervisors and Factory Managers
Please note: Although this course is developed for the above roles, it can also be beneficial as an informative introduction or recap for auditors, but does not provide any formal auditor training.
Training Course content
- Introduction to the heat preserved foods sector
- Pre-requisites: microbiology and HACCP
- Thermal processing and thermal process validation methods
- Lethality calculations (Fo and P values)
- Packaging considerations
- Post process considerations
- Reporting, process deviations and due diligence
At the end of the course delegates will be able to:-
- List the microbiological CCP’s related to the safe production of heat preserved foods.
- Obtain practical hands on experience of thermal process validation, packaging integrity testing, lethality calculations and raw material grading.
- Demonstrate the versatile application of knowledge through group work case studies and presenting group findings for discussion on the final day.
- Demonstrate competency and awareness by passing an end of course exam.
Our training team will be happy to help with any enquiry on +44(0)1386 842104 or at email@example.com