Brewing - energy
Costs of pumping water depend on water volume and pressure drop supplied
- measure power consumption, flow and run hours
- enables improvements to be measured
Audit water usage
Do you have cold radiators in a tank room?
- they will need defrosting. Use off-peak electricity (not water sprays).
Compressed air may take up as much as 10% of a brewery’s electricity usage.
Audit regularly for leaks
- leaks may account for a large part of compressed air usage otherwise
- there may be an opportunity to measure leakage by measuring compressor output when plant is “quiet”
- ultrasonic air leak detection is available
Consider air flow meters on large compressed air users
- for example packaging plant
- reduced rates in exchange for large load reduction on request
- e.g. Shut down primary refrigeration plant
- will be for short time so no harm to beer quality